Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Introduction and My First Day of Rain

First post here. My name is Emily and I'm from New Jersey, USA. I'm currently one of five Volunteer Leaders here at Hands On New Orleans (HONO). I just arrived in New Orleans, LA on Friday morning, and I'm already loving it here. Being from NJ, Louisiana seems so different, from the general atmosphere, the architecture, the weather, and the people. People seem to be so much nicer down here. Even strangers who are just walking by on the street are greeted by other strangers. Needless to say, everyone I've met here at Hands On New Orleans have been extremely friendly and helpful. The first day I arrived, I was already put to work, and it feels great! We also received Volunteer Leader training, and now we're all waiting for our specific project assignments. My focus area is in Construction, and I can't wait to learn what I can about it!

Anyway, despite the wonderful weather we've had ever since I arrived, today is my first day of rain here in New Orleans. I'll be setting up the rest of this blog and working on the details. Also, we have some big events coming up here at HONO, including:

-Martin Luther King events
-Mardi Gras
-NBA All-Stars are coming to town

No comments: