Sunday, January 20, 2008

Rebuilding education in new orleans

I'm Andre Doyle 28 years old from jefferson city, missouri and grew up in a military family until the age of 14 when my parents both retired out of the air force. Enough about me though. I now reside in the garden district in new orleans and have been volunteering in the area since feb. of 2006 which was six months after hurricane katrina. Katrina displaced many families from their homes and left others homeless. As my time went by though while gutting and rehabing homes I've noticed much improvement here two and half years later and population growing faster every year.
I started with habitat for humanity and now came on board with an amazing organiztion called Hands-On New Orleans(HONO) who is located in the uptown part of new orleans. I'm a volunteer leader for the education project at the John Singleton school library. The library recieves donations from amazon.com and other libraries in the area. The program helps the students expand their vocabulary, reading and writing skills. Volunteers come in to help students read, do school work, or check out library books. Soon there will be an afterschool study program to help with the students' homework so they can catch-up in class that way they don't fall behind and can move on to the next grade. I'll also start this same program at the George Washington Carver high school too located out in gentilly. I would like to set up another program with the high school also to help juniors and seniors with college applications, and help decide what they want in life.
Rebuilding homes and education in New orleans are the most important things we need to focus on now! We are rebuilding the city and surrounding areas better and stronger than before and these students play the most important role, because they are the future of the city and we need to educate them right and be a mentor for them too! They really want to learn and I found this out by sitting down with them and asking just what it is they really want? I hear the same answer from all of them. "I want to learn and need the help".

No comments: